Tips To Avoid Aches And
Pains While Working Out
Every January, we see an influx of patients complaining of aches and pains sustained during their new work out plan. We are, of course, delighted to see people seeking to be more active, yet discouraged to see so many injuries during this time of year.
If you wish to become more active in the new year here are a few tips to get you started right!
- Start Slow - If it's been a little while since you've made it to the gym, don't try to pick up where you left off. Set realistic goals and add more in as you gain strength and stamina.
- Do The Hardest Thing You Can Do Well - Limit yourself to exercises and activities that you can do with proper form. If you're struggling, please modify and progress as you're able.
- Alternate Activities - You may love a particular fitness class or working a certain muscle group, but don't over do it. Switch it up so that your body has time to recover.
- Rest - It may feel counter-intuitive to waste your new-found motivation on a rest day, but your body needs time to repair between workouts. It's recommended to take at least one rest day per week.
- Get Enough Sleep - Just like a rest day, your body recovers during your nightly nap. You need to sleep long enough to allow the body to do its healing magic while you snooze.
Happy and Healthy New Year!