What is Telehealth and how may it help me?
Tele-chiropractic? As most of you know, adjustments are a valuable part of your care. They are great for fast pain relief and re-booting the system quickly but the advice and exercise prescriptions we coach our patients through can also provide pain relief and make the lasting changes that create long term improvement. The tools of assessment, understanding, reassurance, advice and coaching have been shown to be highly effective in the management of neuromusculoskeletal pain.
In general, telehealth is a new, convenient way to get face to face assessment and advice from your doctor about your health condition. Many believe this will become the future for efficient, cost effective management of most health conditions including many types of neuromusculoskeletal conditions.
While we love seeing our patients face to face, we are also excited about telehealth! It will allow us to share our expertise and care for you in an entirely different way, all from the comfort of your home. While it doesn't replace good old fashioned chiropractic adjustments, we think you'll be pleased.
Using our amazing new Electronic Health Record platform, JaneApp, we have launched a telehealth program for both our locations in Ellicott City and Clarksville. This is a HIPAA compliant, secure digital format audio/video visit.
What should I expect?
When you book a telehealth chiropractic visit online it starts as a usual visit. You'll receive a welcome email confirming your appointment asking you to complete some intake information about the problem you are experiencing and some information about telehealth. Included will be a link that you can click on at the time you reserved and it will take you to your doctor's "virtual" office. S/he will join you there for your appointment.
What happens during a visit?
- Your doctor will make an assessment to make sense of your condition. As usual, your doctor will listen carefully to what's going on. Then s/he will guide you through examinations of your movements, postures and some orthopedic and neurological tests that you can perform with direction. In the rare instance that your condition requires imaging your doctor can refer you. If another specialty is called for a referral will be made.
- Your doctor will provide coaching in self management skills such as movements, stretches, postures, exercises that can help you reduce symptoms and help you rapidly gain control.
- S/he will also provide advice regarding pain management, ergonomic, nutrition and lifestyle strategies to improve self management.
How should I prepare for my appointment?
It is best to use your laptop or computer with a bigger screen and a webcam for your visit so your doctor can see you clearly and share their screen with you for education. For the best experience, you should use the Chrome web browser.
For your visit you should choose a place in your home (or outside, if it's nice!) where you have some room to move about. Wear comfortable but not extremely loose clothes. Athletic shorts or tights and a t-shirt are ideal. Having some props like a kitchen chair, and a mat for floor activities will be helpful. Other useful equipment for future visits might include a yoga block, an exercise ball, some theraband and a kettlebell.
What happens next?
Typically you will be asked to perform the prescribed therapy activities/exercise for 2-7 days. Your doctor will tell you when to make your follow up visit.
Does insurance cover these visits?
While there are never any guarantees regarding insurance coverage, the information we have right now is that Carefirst BCBS, Aetna, and United Health Care will cover telehealth. What is not clear is what codes they will cover and how much they will cover or what your responsibility will be. We will submit the claim for you.
How do I book a telehealth appointment?
- You can start at our website www.morrisonchiropractic.com pictured below. Click on the yellow box to request an appointment.
- Alternatively, you may call the office to schedule an online telehealth visit with your preferred doctor.
- Last, but not least, you can also click here to go directly to online booking.
You will be taken to this page:
Click the button that says "OR BOOK A TELE-HEALTH SESSION NOW!" to go to our online booking site.
Click on your doctor's image to see their schedule and select the time and type of appointment you'd like!
If you have any additional questions about tele-health or how it works, please feel free to contact us.